L3 MAS helps operators make the most of their fleets through comprehensive fleet management services, including fatigue life management and structural management planning and optimization.
Through our vast experience in monitoring and analyzing usage data for the Canadian Forces, we have developed a unique expertise in Operational Load Monitoring (OLM) programs and fatigue tracking software. Aircraft fleet management personnel perform the following activities to ensure essential fatigue management objectives are met:
- Development of system instrumentation requirements, data acquisition support and data management
- Operational load data processing and analysis
- Sensor maintenance
In addition, L3 MAS has developed an integrated approach for the derivation of an optimized Structural Maintenance Plan (SMP) for the CF-18. Our aircraft life extension planner software optimizes the induction of aircraft into third line maintenance in accordance with customer needs by integrating data from a number of sources:
- Engineering data on structural modification and inspections
- Configuration management data
- Fatigue management data
- Operational constraints (ie. flying rates, fleet size, minimum number of available aircraft)
- Production constraints (ie. hangar space, level of effort)
To complement this, L3 MAS also provides support to the planning and conduct of base level maintenance such as level of repair and sparing analysis.
More than 30 years of CF-18 Fleet Management
L3 MAS has provided System Engineering Support (SES) to DND for more than 30 years:
- Third line maintenance (ie. Depot)
- Engineering mission software
- Logistics Support Analysis (LSA)
- Lifecycle management
- Supply chain management
- Technical airworthiness
Know-how exported in support of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)
- Over $250M in orders from RAAF in the last 8 years
- Centre barrel replacement-unique expertise
- Know-how exported in support of United States Navy (USN) & other Air Forces for component repair & engineering, in cooperation with Boeing
In-Service Support for the CC-150 Polaris - A challenge we meet with great pride!
A year after winning the CC-150 Interim ISS contract, L3 MAS was again selected in 2013 to provide long-term In-Service Support for DND's CC-150 Airbus fleet. L3 MAS now provides all aspects of support to this critical fleet on behalf of the Department of National Defence.
Under this contract, L3 MAS is responsible for:
- Overall program management
- Material management
- Engineering support services
- Line maintenance support
- Heavy maintenance
- Component maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) services
- Aircraft painting
The work on this contract is carried out at the customer's operating base in Trenton, Ontario, and in Mirabel, Quebec.
The CC-150 Polaris fleet is used by the government for high-profile missions such as VIP transportation and strategic air-to-air refuelling, as well as passenger, freight and medical evacuation transportation.
Maritime Helicopter Program: A challenging mandate
Our experience in fleet management is growing, thanks to our participation in challenging contracts like the Government of Canada’s Maritime Helicopter Program (MHP).
L3 MAS plays an important role in In-Service Support (ISS) of the Canadian MHP. Our mandate includes assisting Sikorsky in Engineering and Airworthiness Certification of the new helicopters and in the development of a continuing airworthiness program.
The ISS contract charges L3 MAS with lead responsibility for ISS set-up and provision of extensive ISS activities. The mandate includes development of a Maritime Helicopter Weapon System (MHWS) technical support concept, ensuring a smooth transition from production to in-service, as well as management and control of all ISS work in strict accordance with cost, schedule and performance requirements. This involves planning, executing and controlling work performed by subcontractors as well as establishing a contractor management office in the Ottawa area and contractor field offices at each operating unit, to act as the point of contact for the customer (Department of National Defence [DND]) for all ISS issues.
To support Sikorsky in the development and management of an accredited technical organization, L3 MAS is also responsible for the following:
- Implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive configuration management program
- Support to the DND Weapon System Manager (WSM) with fleet maintenance and operational planning
- Development, implementation and maintenance of complete life cycle management programs
- Selection of an industry team to provide optimum support while maximizing Canadian content
- Establishment and maintenance of a Logistics Support Analysis (LSA) data repository for the MHWS
- Support of the development of maintenance instructions and technical data
- Implementation of the Aircraft Structural Integrity Program (ASIP)
Field service representatives and inspection, repair and modification services, third level maintenance, supply chain management and supply support services are also part of the ISS mandate, along with a host of other responsibilities.
These activities represent significant opportunities for L3 MAS, including the growth of material management in support of the contract, the expansion of engineering support and fleet management, which builds on our considerable experience developed under national and international F/A-18 programs.
Tutor is a Canadair aircraft, for which L3 MAS has retained data rights upon sale of Bombardier to L-3 Communications.
L3 MAS currently provides DND with:
- Technical investigation & engineering support services for second and third line maintenance
- Aircraft Structural Integrity Program (ASIP)
- Design development, prototyping and manufacturing
- Built-to-print services
- Publication management services
- Repair & overall facilities